For several people, sleeping can be difficult, especially for chronic snorers or those with sleep apnea. The most common fix for those with sleep apnea is a CPAP machine (or what’s known as a continuous positive airway pressure device). However, a CPAP machine doesn’t work for everyone. Wearing a mask over your nose and mouth can be annoying while trying to sleep (especially when having to wear a mask during the pandemic). Thankfully, there are other options to try. At Spark Sleep Solutions, we have 5 alternatives for you to try if you’re suffering from sleep apnea and don’t want to wear a CPAP machine at night.
Sleep Apnea Treatment Options
- Oral Appliances- Some dental professionals specialize in orthodontics or dental implants that can help with sleep apnea. Mouthguards can help keep the tongue in place or ease the jaw forward, helping to keep the airway open while you sleep.
- Oral Surgery In some cases, genetics can be the cause of sleep apnea. People born with big tonsils or throats may have trouble breathing while they sleep. Oral surgeons can work with a patient to make permanent changes to their anatomy and help them breathe easier.
- Weight Loss One major risk factor for having sleep apnea is obesity. Studies show that losing weight can help alleviate sleep apnea symptoms.
- Positional Therapy If you sleep on your back, you’re more likely to experience sleep apnea. Devices that attach to your waist or back can help keep you from lying on your back and reduce the need for a CPAP machine.
- Inspire Therapy- It is relatively a new therapy option for those with sleep apnea.
- Inspire (also knowns as hypoglossal nerve stimulation) is a small implanted pacemaker that opens up the airway by moving the tongue forward while you’re sleeping at night. However, it’s important to note that Inspire does require surgery. When a user turns the device on before bed, it works to monitor breathing patterns and stimulate key muscles to open a person’s airway.
Get the Help You Need From Spark Sleep Solutions!
If you think that you have sleep apnea ( or are looking for alternative therapies), contact Spark Sleep Solutions today! Our treatments specialize in sleep apnea, snoring, and TMJ disorders. If you’re looking for relief, reach out to one of our Bay Area locations. We can’t wait to work with you!